It is our LAST WEEK OF SCHOOL. (Insert happy dance here.) We do a "First Grade Fun Week" or theme week. Each day has a different theme. There are snacks, activities and decorations for each theme. We asked for a $5 donation from parents to help with the costs of the week. About half of our students brought money in this year and since we were very frugal shoppers, we didn't have to alter our plans much!
Today was American Day. We wore red, white and blue. (And amazingly almost all of the kids remembered even though it was a Monday.) My team decorates our outside hallway and inside our classrooms. I don't have any pictures from outside, but we lined the hallway with flags and had a table for the picnic supplies all decked out with red, white and blue. Our doors were covered with red, white and blue stars. Here are a few of our activities:
- American Symbols Book (from a Mailbox or something similar)
- Marble Paint Fireworks
- Paper Chain Necklaces
- Make Flags
- Outdoor Play was Sidewalk Chalk, Basketball, Hula Hoops, Jump Ropes, Parachute
- Picnic (chips, lemonade, Little Debbie patriotic snack cakes, and red and blue jello stars) Mrs. Fischer's mom makes 8 boxes of jello stars for us every year. She is a retired teacher and understands!
- This year we bought bottled water and the individual Crystal Light lemonade packets. The kids LOVED making their own lemonade and it saved us from pouring 80 cups of lemonade and many, many spills!
- We listened to a kids Patriotic Music CD the whole day. (Yes, the whole day and that is all I am going to say about that.)
Here are a few pics!
|Outside door. He is wearing the paper chain necklace.|
|Working on the American Symbols book while kids came back 2 at a time to marble paint.|
|Some of our indoor decorations. We even used the red and blue markers for calendar math. They loved making patterns while writing all of the ways to make 4. (I promise to do a Calendar Math post this summer.)|
|Marble Painted Fireworks|
|Only 1 marble hit the floor this year......a new record!!!!|
|Flags made by gluing on red construction paper strips (already cut!) The stars rectangle is colored, cut and glued on as well.|
I never seem to get through all of the activities, but the kids have a blast anyway!
Tomorrow is Jungle Animal Day. I will try to do a better job at taking pictures!
Do you do anything for the last week?